WHAT: BlackStar is proud to present the 2023 Philadelphia Filmmaker Lab, an opportunity designed to uplift emerging and mid-career artists in the Greater Philadelphia area. BlackStar’s Filmmaker Lab will support four projects by Black, Brown and Indigenous filmmakers through making equipment, space, crew, mentorship, funding and critical feedback available over the course of a 12-month program. BlackStar will act as an executive producer on the short films created during the Lab and premiere the films at BlackStar Film Festival in 2023.
This year @blackstarfest’s Philadelphia Filmmaker Lab will have two tracks, one for directing and one for producing!
Producing fellows are not required to have film producing experience, so we’re excited to welcome applicants with transferable leadership and organization skills. If you have any folks in mind, we encourage you to forward this opportunity their way.
- Candidates must live in the Greater Philadelphia area.
- Projects must be filmed in the Greater Philadelphia area.
- The Lab is not open to students currently pursuing an art or film degree, organizations, or corporations.
- Candidates should identify as Black, Brown, Indigenous or as a Person of Color (BIPOC).
- The Lab is open to adults at least 18 years of age.
- Applicants must be available for Orientation Weekend, currently set for November 19-20, 2022.
- September 7, 2022 – Application Opens
- September 21, 2022 – Info Session
- September 29, 2022 – Application Closes
- November 11, 2022 – Notification Date
- November 19-20, 2022 – Orientation Weekend
to join the year-long fellowship for Black, Brown, and Indigenous filmmakers in Philadelphia : blackstarfest.org/lab
DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 29TH
Last year SIFTER Bettina Escauriza (writer/director) was a Fellow in the inaugural BlackStar Philadelphia Filmmaker Lab. While both SIFTERS Nikki Harmon and Stephanie Malson were hired as producers.
Click HERE or below image for more on their experiences…
The BlackStar Philadelphia Filmmaker Lab is presented by Xfinity with additional support by All Ages Productions, William Penn Foundation, Independence Public Media Foundation, Mellon Foundation, Wyncote Foundation, Gucci Changemakers Fund and Expressway Cinema Rentals.